Learn How to Grow Herbs:
- Learn to Grow Herbs Commercially as container plants or to harvest for market or processing.
- Self paced 100 hour course for the herb professional, tradesman, business owner or enthusiast
- Study with a team of herb professionals from both Australia and the UK
This is a fantastic course for anyone who is passionate about herbs, growing them and using them; and wants to learn more. Many of those who have studied this course have gone on to establish successful businesses or careers working with herbs; while others have studied this course to simply indulge their passion and become increasingly involved with herbs in their daily living.
There are 12 lessons in this course:
- Introduction To Herb Culture
- Unit I : Introduction to herbs, definitions, uses. Classification of herbs; use of a botanical key.
- Unit II : Cultural Techniques...planting, soils, drainage, feeding, mulching, composting, pruning.
- Unit III : Propagation Techniques...propagation mixes, growing structures, cuttings, seed, separation & division, layering.
- Unit IV : Identification of plant health problems...pest & disease, frost, heat, water stress, etc.
- Using Herbs
- Unit I : Processing & Use of Herbs Medicinal, culinary, perfumes, dyes, oils, distillation processes, etc.
- Unit II : Harvesting & Storage Air drying, oven drying, microwave drying, freezing, fresh storage, when & how to harvest.
- The Mints (Lamiaceae)
- Unit I : Mentha species: Peppermint, spearmint, applemint, wintermint, pennyroyal, corsican, ginger mint etc.
- Unit II : Lavender (Lavendula varieties) & thyme (Thymus).
- Unit III : Assorted Lamiaceae varieties: Lemon Balm, Hyssop, Rosemary, Bee Balm (Monarda), Basil, Savory, Marjoram, Sage.
- The Daisies (Asteraceae)
- Lesson I : Artemisia species...Southernwood, Wormwood, Tarragon, Mugwort.
- Lesson II : Miscellaneous Asteraceae: Chamomile, Tansy, Safflower, Costmary, Yarrow, Calendula, Dandelion etc.
- The Parsley Family (Apiaceae)
- Parsley, Coriander, Dill, Caraway, Angelica, Cumin, Fennel, Lovage, Sweet Cicely etc.
- The Onion Group
- Unit I: Chives, Leek, Garlic chives, Tree onion, Welsh onion, etc.
- Unit II : Garlic
- Other Herbs
- Unit I : Rosaceae (Rose, Burnet, Strawberry, blackberry, etc)
- Unit II : Miscellaneous: Lemon grass, Lemon verbena, Bay, Sorrel, Dock, Juniper, Horseradish, Evening Primrose, etc.
- Unit III : Scented Geraniums; Australian Natives, Eucalyptus and Others
- Pests & Diseases
- Unit I : Companion Planting
- Unit II : Natural Pest Control: Herb sprays, biological control, etc.
- Unit I : Landscape Design Principles and Practices: How to draw a landscape plan
- Unit II : Home Gardening With Herbs; Cottage gardens, hedges & borders, tubs, baskets, kitchen gardens, herb lawns, herb indoor plants.
- Unit III : Public Landscaping: Historic herb grdens (Knot gardens etc), herbs for low maintenance & colour in parks..etc.
- Herb Farming 1
- Establishing & Operating a Herb Nursery: Open ground vs container growing, nursery layout, potting soils, pots and labels, marketing, etc.
- Herb Farming 11
- Establishing & Operating a Herb Farm: Soil Preparation and management (plastic mulch, organic mulches, cultivation), row cropping.
- Herb Farming 111
- Evaluating Herb enterprises, assessing market demand. Deciding how to proceed.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
Interested? Ask for a free information pack today!
We live in a society where the pressures of daily living are high with financial
expenses, personal and work commitments, and mortgage and rental obligations.
Then there are the unexpected life challenges that also get thrown our way.
With this in mind the thought of taking on study can be daunting for most people.
Here at Learning Cloud we understand that life doesn’t run in a straight line it
has many ups and downs.
As an enrolled student at Learning Cloud, you are entitled to access a variety of
non-academic support services from the Student Services Unit. These supports are
designed to walk beside you throughout your studies they will assist you in life’s
ups and downs to provide you the best opportunity to successfully complete your
STUDENT SERVICES PROGRAMS INCLUDE:
- Careers Counselling Service
- General Counselling Service
- Disability Liaison Service
- Retention & Engagement Service
- Student Activities
- E Counselling
- Parent support
- Reasonable Adjustment Plan (RAP)
Call our student support today on 0800 000 361 or Email Faculty
Get more information
Want more information about financial and student support? Fill out the enquiry
form to the right and a study consultant will contact you with the details
How will this course advance my career?
Learning Cloud programs have been developed in response to industry demand
and are specifically designed to equip graduates with work-ready skills.
Each participant will be trained and assessed in theory and in practical tasks
and Real-world exercises are used throughout the program.
Studies prove, time and again, that college-educated workers earn more than those
with only a high school qualification. College graduates often enjoy additional
benefits, including greater job opportunities and promotions. Though the proof for
greater earning potential exists, some might wonder whether the cost of the
education warrants the overall expense in the long run.
College Graduate vs. Non-Graduate Earnings
The National Centre for Education Statistics (NCES) analyses employee earnings data
biennially, according to education level. Findings indicate that workers with a
qualification earn significantly more than those without. Since the mid-1980s,
education has played a large part in potential wages, with bachelor's degree holders
taking home an average of 66% more than those with only a high school diploma do.
While college-educated workers' wages have increased over the past two decades,
those with only a high school education have seen decreases in annual salaries in
the same time period (nces.ed.gov).
How else will I benefit from studying with Learning Cloud?
- Studying online or distance means you can study where you want
and at your own pace.
- Receive career-focused training with practical, hands-on learning.
- All course materials are provided and all digital platforms are
interactive, work on any device and designed to be fun.
- Recognition of Prior Learning or Skills Recognition may be available
for previous work experience, formal training or qualifications in this field.