Certificate in Child and Youth Counselling
Certificate in Child and Youth Counselling VRE901
Do you want to make a difference to the lives of children and adolescents?
Being young is a time when we are vulnerable. Children only have limited life experience. They are constantly learning about the world around them and they need confidence to grow. The fears and anxieties of children can quickly destroy their fragile confidence if they are not provided with adequate care, love and understanding.
Those who work with children are most effective when they have an understanding of the specific problems faced by them, and what can be expected in normal childhood development.
If you are passionate about working with children and young people then this course may be right for you. The course is a distance learning course which focuses on counselling this age group. In this course you will be able to learn about theories of childhood development (e.g. morality, cognition, psychosocial), as well as develop core counselling skills. The elective modules offer an opportunity to specialise in areas such as mental health problems which have their onset in childhood, adolescent development, and disorders of childhood. There is also the possibility of learning more general psychology which can be applied to people of all ages, or focussing on specific areas for counselling.
You can study this flexible course in your own home and at your own pace, and you will have support from our experienced and highly qualified tutors.
You are required to take two core modules – Child Psychology and Counselling Skills I. You can then choose a further four modules from the electives listed below.
Core Modules: These modules provide foundation knowledge for the Certificate in Child and Youth Counselling.
- Child Psychology BPS104
- Counselling Skills I BPS109
Elective Modules: In addition to the core modules, students study any 4 of the following 12 modules.
- Anger Management BPS111
- Counselling Skills II BPS110
- Introduction To Psychology BPS101
- Adolescent Psychology BPS211
- Careers Counselling BPS202
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health BPS214
- Counselling Techniques BPS206
- Developmental Psychology BPS210
- Developmental, Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents BPS215
- Family Counselling BPS213
- Grief Counselling BPS209
- Abnormal Psychology BPS307
Note that each module in the Certificate in Child and Youth Counselling is a short course in its own right, and may be studied separately.
- Identify key concepts and issues in child psychology
- Understand theories on the psychology of the newborn infant
- Explain the different types of sense discrimination that babies develop
- Identify how children learn and influences on learning
- Discuss theories of emotion and their basis in child behaviour
- Explain how children develop cognitively
- Explain how children develop language
- Explain influences on the development of intelligence in a child
- Explain personal aspects of socialisation
- Explain factors affecting the development of morality in children
- Explain the development of sexuality within children
- Explain the impact of schooling and family structures on personality development
Request your free course information pack today!