Keep your tools and machinery in perfect working order always!
This course gives you the knowledge and develops your ability to independently manage the selection, operation and maintenance of tools and machinery used in professional gardening, agriculture and horticulture.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Engine Operation
- History of Engines
- Measurements and mechanical principles
- Load, Force, Pressure, Atmospheric Pressure
- Gravity, Centre of Gravity, Specific Gravity
- Density, Volumetric Efficiency, Vacuum, Work, Power, Energy
- Bore, Piston Motion, Piston Displacement
- Compression Ratio
- Converting Imperial Measurements to Metric
- Understanding a Petrol Engine
- Engine Operating Cycle
- The Transmission System Stages in 4 Stroke Spark Ignition Engine Cycle
- Stages in 2 stroke spark ignition Engine Cycle
- Engine Efficiency
- Understanding Electricity
- Measuring Electricity; current, voltage, resistance, Ohm’s Law
- Electricity Supply; batteries, mains power, generators, solar cells
- Electricity and Engines
- Electric Motors
- What is Hydraulics
- Simple Hydraulic System
- Hydraulic Tappings
- System Valves
- 3 point linkage on tractors
- Measuring Pressure
- Pressure Head
- Friction Loss
- Calculating Friction Loss
- Calculating Discharge or Flow
- Water Hammer
- Submersible Pumps
- Measuring Water available to plants
- Irrigation Calculations
- Machinery Components
- Parts of an Engine
- Lubrication System
- Cooling System
- Fuel System
- Ignition System
- Transmission System
- Examples of Mechanisation; potting machines, planters and drills, harvesters, graders, mowers
- Hand Tools
- Lifting objects manually
- Scope of tools and equipment
- Hand Saws
- Spades and Shovels
- Aerating Equipment
- Power Tools
- Types of tools
- Power Saws
- Hedge Trimmers
- Chain Saws
- Brush Cutters
- Rotary Hoes
- Tool Safety
- Tool Maintenance
- Choosing a tractor
- Choosing implements and attachments
- Mini Tractors
- Tractor Parts
- Tractor safety
- Tractor operation
- Tractor Engine Fault Finding
- Common operating faults
- Equipment Maintenance
- Cleaning and Sharpening tools
- Secateurs and branch cutting tools
- Shovels and spades
- Saws and Chainsaws
- Rust protection
- Maintaining timber handles
- Plastic handles
- Maintenance Procedures and Schedules
- Training Equipment Operators
- Rules for Operators
- Engine Oil Additives
- Specific Workplace Requirements
- Machinery Specifications
- Application for an Industry Sector
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Explain the operation of different types of motors, including petrol and electric engines.
- Explain the principles of hydraulics in relation to agricultural and horticultural use.
- Explain the operation of the main components of machinery commonly used in agriculture and horticulture including cooling, lubrication, fuel distribution, ignition and transmission systems.
- Explain the safe and effective operation of different hand tools commonly used in agriculture or horticulture.
- Determine the safe and appropriate operation of power tools in horticultural and agricultural situations.
- Explain the safe and appropriate operation of a tractor in horticultural and agricultural situations.
- Explain the maintenance procedures for different equipment commonly used in agriculture and horticulture, including hand tools, power tools and tractors.
- Determine appropriate equipment for minimum work requirements in an agricultural or horticultural workplace.
For more information, request your free info pack today!
We live in a society where the pressures of daily living are high with financial
expenses, personal and work commitments, and mortgage and rental obligations.
Then there are the unexpected life challenges that also get thrown our way.
With this in mind the thought of taking on study can be daunting for most people.
Here at Learning Cloud we understand that life doesn’t run in a straight line it
has many ups and downs.
As an enrolled student at Learning Cloud, you are entitled to access a variety of
non-academic support services from the Student Services Unit. These supports are
designed to walk beside you throughout your studies they will assist you in life’s
ups and downs to provide you the best opportunity to successfully complete your
STUDENT SERVICES PROGRAMS INCLUDE:
- Careers Counselling Service
- General Counselling Service
- Disability Liaison Service
- Retention & Engagement Service
- Student Activities
- E Counselling
- Parent support
- Reasonable Adjustment Plan (RAP)
Call our student support today on 0800 000 361 or Email Faculty
Get more information
Want more information about financial and student support? Fill out the enquiry
form to the right and a study consultant will contact you with the details
How will this course advance my career?
Learning Cloud programs have been developed in response to industry demand
and are specifically designed to equip graduates with work-ready skills.
Each participant will be trained and assessed in theory and in practical tasks
and Real-world exercises are used throughout the program.
Studies prove, time and again, that college-educated workers earn more than those
with only a high school qualification. College graduates often enjoy additional
benefits, including greater job opportunities and promotions. Though the proof for
greater earning potential exists, some might wonder whether the cost of the
education warrants the overall expense in the long run.
College Graduate vs. Non-Graduate Earnings
The National Centre for Education Statistics (NCES) analyses employee earnings data
biennially, according to education level. Findings indicate that workers with a
qualification earn significantly more than those without. Since the mid-1980s,
education has played a large part in potential wages, with bachelor's degree holders
taking home an average of 66% more than those with only a high school diploma do.
While college-educated workers' wages have increased over the past two decades,
those with only a high school education have seen decreases in annual salaries in
the same time period (nces.ed.gov).
How else will I benefit from studying with Learning Cloud?
- Studying online or distance means you can study where you want
and at your own pace.
- Receive career-focused training with practical, hands-on learning.
- All course materials are provided and all digital platforms are
interactive, work on any device and designed to be fun.
- Recognition of Prior Learning or Skills Recognition may be available
for previous work experience, formal training or qualifications in this field.